Health Benefits of Gymnema Sylvestre
Gymnema Sylvestre is a woody shrub that is used in Ayurveda which is an ancient Indian form of medicine. This is only found in the tropical forests of India, Australia and Africa. This age-old Indian science is a way of life according to the ascetics who have the term “Gur-Mar” for this herb; which literally means “Sugar-Destroyer”. The plant is also called the Australian complaint and Periploca of the woods. Gymnema leaves have a chemical called gymnemic acid that represses sugar cravings and reduces sugar absorption in the stomach. Also, increases insulin levels; thus treating diabetes. Diabetes is one of the most common diseases where the body’s ability to produce and utilise insulin is marred.
Gymnema Sylvestre supplements have been undermined until recent times, this medicinal shrub has innumerable advantageous properties. Let’s look at some:
- Diabetes – This is where Gymnema has gotten its fame from. People have been battling this disease since an early age. The gymnemic acid present in this plant decreases sugar absorption in the intestine; while increasing the insulin level in the body and increasing cell growth in the pancreas, the place where insulin is produced.
- Weight-loss – Not only is a waterfall effect of reduced sugar consumption that Gymnema Sylvestre helps with weight loss, it also blocks the fat absorption or lipids which naturally results in weight loss. This lowers the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels in the blood which is considered to aid good overall health management.
Summarising the health benefits of Gymnema Sylvestre
- Cuts out sugar cravings by blocking the receptors for sweet food in the tastebuds; thus helping with many diseases, especially diabetes. Gymnemic acid, the prime ingredient suppresses the sweetness. Research has proven that if one has Gymnema before having a dessert or sweet drink, the sweetness levels are next to none as it stops the ability to taste sweetness. Also, helps limit food intake.
- Diabetes is one of the most common diseases in the world now with over 420 million people having it currently, according to WHO (World Health Organisation), and increasing rapidly too. Defined by high blood-sugar levels, Diabetes is a metabolic disease that comes about when the body’s effectiveness in making and using insulin drops drastically. Gymnema lowers blood-sugar levels and as it blocks blood sugar levels in your tongue, it does the same to the intestine; thus reducing sugar absorption and lowering blood-sugar levels after meals.
- Insulin secretion makes the blood clear the sugar faster from the blood; likewise with the regeneration of the insulin-secreting islet cells, which aid in increasing insulin production to favourable levels. Gymnema helps increase and sensitise the insulin increasing activity.
- Gymnema basks in the glory of being the sugar-destroyer, but it also has an influence on fat absorption and lipid levels. Experiments and research have proven that even in a high-fat diet, ingestion of Gymnema has shown lower triglyceride levels. And thus a significant reduction in the risk of heart diseases due to the improvement in triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
- A study has shown that with Gymnema and even a high-fat diet, there has been a decrease in body weight and reduced food intake. As it blocks the sugar receptors in the tongue and the intestine, it also brings about a diet change resulting in a lower calorie intake. A deficit in calorie intake continuously aids with weight loss.
- In the healing process of one’s body, inflammation plays an important role. That is so because it has both good and bad properties. In the event of an injury or an infection, inflammation is necessary to control the damage done. On the other hand, it can be equally bad as chronic inflammation causes many health issues. Studies show the correlation between high- sugar intake and high-inflammatory levels. The markers in the human system have observed that high calorie and sugar contribute to many chronic disorders and inflammation. Tannin and Saponin content present in this plant are anti-inflammatory and are beneficial as plant compounds. Also, the leaves of the Gymnema plant reduce inflammation as they have the ability to regulate the immune system. Diabetes not only has high blood sugar and is resistant to insulin but also is inflammatory due to decreased antioxidant levels.
The effects of Organic Gymnema Sylvestre are positive in a definitive way, it would be inadvisable to combine it with other prescribed medications, as the blood sugar levels can drop dangerously low. This is termed hypoglycemia. The downside of this is giddiness, vomiting, dizziness, weakness, nausea, headaches, tremors etc.
These supplements are not to be taken with other blood-sugar lowering medications such as insulin injections as well but can be taken under supervised medical care. Doctors also advise against combining aspirin with this herbal medicine.
Do you want to use Gymnema Sylvestre as a means to block the sugar receptors on your tongue? If yes, then ingest a Gymnema Sylvestre supplement with water 5–10 minutes before a high-sugar meal or snack and watch the magic unfold. Sugar has been called the “White poison” and is also known as the “Food of the cancer cells.”
Gymnema helps fight sweet cravings and helps fight diabetes, lower blood-sugar levels and also boosts weight loss. This could be had in the form of tea or powder that can be boiled with water, the easiest being in the form of pills that can be had with a glass of water.
Let’s just face it, if you got that killer sweet tooth, time to knock it down with some Gymnema Sylvestre.